Tuesday 10 May 2011

Traffic lights...what is my student taking about?

Homework:  Page 3 and 4 in math study guide.  Traffic light EACH question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We traffic light our work...sometimes each question, depending on the standards we are covering.  What does traffic lighting mean and how does it help students learn?

Traffic lights help students use assessment for learning!

Well.... students learn to use red, yellow and green when they personally assess their work.  We use hand signals in class that also match the lights.  Red reflects "I have no clue." So I would set up time to work with that student 1 to 1 or in a small group.  If they are 'yellow'..they feel they can do some of the work.  However, they have questions or don't feel confident.  We might still work in small groups or they could team with another student who is green.

Green = "I got this and can do it  independently!"  If I see more than one green for a standard AND all the work is correct, I know this student is ready for some above level work and, possibly, ready to move to a new standard!

Homework should be traffic lighted.  If you helped your child understand, have them place a yellow and also a green.  Using both colours lets me know the student had questions, but with support, understands the concept now.

Maybe I should implement traffic lights at home when my own children do their chores!!!! :)
Have a good evening!

0 comments: